The Golden West Quilters Guild (GWQG) was founded in 1989 at the Potchefstroom Museum with founder members: Hettie Schwelnuss, Paul Schutte, Elmine Van der Walt, Christa Potgieter, Babs Theunissen, Alida Sharpe, Alta Pothas and Hannetjie Dos Santos.
Areas - Klerksdorp, Potchefstroom, Carletonville, Fochville
Meetings - March/April, May, August/September, November
083 295 1192 / 018 294 3276
SAQG regional rep:
072 291 7077
083 628 3860
Hettie Schwelnuss, author of ‘Las met Lap – Stap vir Stap’ provoked wide spread interest in quilting especially in North West and the Free State. She was awarded with the Pro Dedicated Award in 2011.
The GWQG consists of 3 different regionally based guilds:
The GWQG entered group quilts at most National Quilt Festivals. In recognition they received several awards: Two First, one Second, three Highly commended and one Merit awards. Amongst other winners at National Festivals, two members received the status of Master Quilter: Barbara van Jaarsveld and Paul Schutte, who also won three times Best on Show.
Aims of the Guild
* Golden West members are very busy learning new techniques, and are enjoying their creative and social hobby.
* The GWQG meets four times per year, rotating between the three Quilt Groups. A raffle is held at each of these meetings and a “White Elephant” table is organised by the host Group. These are both well received and well supported. A lovely colourful newsletter is issued to each member at each meeting.
* At every meeting, two or more merchants set up a vendor’s mail to meet the quilter’s needs and tempt them with the latest supplies.
* With every quarterly meeting, a light meal and refreshments are served free of charge.
* Excellent guest speakers are invited to speak on a variety of quilt-related topics, with demonstrations of techniques, tips and hints on different methods or to conduct mini-workshops and quilt courses.
* A Retreat takes place during the second half of each year. During the retreat different courses are presented by local quilters or quilters from other guilds. Each member who attend the opening meeting receives a Goodie Bag